All About Level 2 Chimney Inspections and When You Might Need One:
A Level 2 chimney inspection is an in-depth examination of a chimney and fireplace system. It is typically recommended when there have been changes to the chimney, such as a new appliance installation, or if there are suspected problems or damage that can’t be fully assessed with a basic visual inspection.
Here are some key aspects of a Level 2 chimney inspection:
- Visual Inspection: A Level 2 inspection includes a thorough visual examination of all accessible parts of the chimney and fireplace system. This includes the interior of the chimney, as well as the exterior, if accessible.
- Video Camera Inspection: An advanced, high-definition camera is used to provide a detailed view of the interior of the chimney, allowing the inspector to identify any cracks, blockages, or other issues that may not be visible with a standard visual inspection.Access to Hidden Areas: Level 2 inspections may involve the removal of certain components of the chimney or fireplace system to gain access to hidden areas. This can include the removal of chimney caps, crowns, or connectors.
- Access to Hidden Areas: Level 2 inspections may involve the removal of certain components of the chimney or fireplace system to gain access to hidden areas. This can include the removal of chimney caps, crowns, or connectors.
- Documentation: The inspector will provide a detailed report, with photos and videos as necessary, documenting the current condition of the fireplace/chimney system, along with recommendations for repairs or maintenance. A sample report can be viewed HERE.
When Is a Level 2 Chimney Inspection Required?
While local standards may not require the inspection, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), a Level 2 chimney inspection is required when:
- There is a change in the fuel type.
- There has been an incident that may have caused damage to the chimney (such as a chimney fire or earthquake)
- Upon the Sale or Transfer of a Property.
- There is any suspicion of a hidden problem.
Our Chimney Sweep Service:
We take pride in ensuring the safety and efficiency of your chimney. Our CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep specializes in thorough inspections and meticulous cleaning, removing creosote buildup, debris, and potential blockages. Beyond a basic surface cleaning, a proper chimney sweep will address hidden issues to enhance the performance of your chimney and reduce the risk of fire hazards. Trust us to provide a comprehensive and reliable chimney sweep that safeguards your home and family.
Chimney services offered through Chimney Check, a Redbud Property Inspections company